1st day at Oracle Open World

Well, I'm here in San Fran staying at a decent hotel and I'm enjoying the city. I arrived on Sunday and did the tourist stuff.
- A boatride around Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- A cable car ride.
- And a visit to the sea lions.
sea-lions

As for the show, I sat in on Hector and Michael announcing a new partnership:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/23/BUGNOLUFUD19.DTL
Which I really don't care too much about since I can't stand Dell.

I then sat in on "the future of Database Technology" by Andrew Mendelsohn which was a good session. I learned about "ILM" and the "ILM Assistant" which might provide to be useful for me. Andrew talked quite a bit about the future release of Oracle which sounds pretty nice.

Next I sat in on "How to stay on track with Oracle Enterprise Assets" which was kind of a bust. My current company has an asset management tool that you can map your company assets with world events in case of world events. Overall I'm sure that this portion of the eBiz suite is fine, me attending this session was just not a good fit.

I then sat in on "Developing Semantic Web Applic..." which was really really cool. I'm going to start thinking about how we can play around with this at my shop.

Lastly I sat in on a Stephen Feuerstein "10 things PL/SQL developers should never do". Stephan is awesome, a really nice guy with a great outlook on life and work. I strongly recommend seeing anything he does if you ever get the chance.

While I was out playing and learning my wife Tina sent me this picture of our daughter Sara (who is feeling under the weather). The comment said "Don't you wish you were here!". Tina is funny.

Sara Murnane having a tantrum

Until next time...Rich

Comments