Graphics are worth a thousand words, but be careful...

Everyone knows a picture is worth a thousand words and Information Graphics (Data Visualizations) are no exception. Information Graphics themselves should tell you an entire story and need no additional explanation or discussion other than a line or two neatly bundled with the graphic.

In today's news I stumbled upon a neat discussion at ERP Software Advice about "Oracle Mergers & Acquisitions" (also here). The gist of the story is that Larry E's biological time-clock is ticking and his acquisition team is most likely getting itchy and they had better get a move on it.

I enjoyed the article very much but the one graphic jumped out at me, let's see if you can spot the issue with this one, I'll give you a hint, I'm a Data Geek...


Well, if you haven't figured out where I'm going with this, I'll give you a second clue, take a look at this modified graphic...


Yes, I'm no graphics guy, but I can tell you that although the teams in the cylinder shaped buildings are excited about Sun's hardware capabilities, the purchase of MySQL certainly gives them goose bumps, kind of like a secret crush they're afraid to talk about...

In summary, yes I like the article and the original graphic very much, but I don't think it tells the entire story. Everybody knows Oracle bought Sun not only for the hardware but for the MySQL database as well and I wish the graphic illustrated this a bit.

Until next time...Rich

Comments